Thursday, October 22, 2009

Does my website suck

Here is link to my homepage. www.webpages.scu.edu/ftp/AMejia/iquit.htm

Why sucks
-A lot of white space on various pages
- small amount of text on pages.

Why good
- not mixing colors on different pages of website
- font of text is able to be read by viewers.

Navigation Techniques

1. Always have a link back to the home page
2.Grouping similar pages together, having one page as the main one and other linking off of it.

Reading behavior
1.Screen based reading is emerging meaning that people look for keywords, browsing or scanning or one time reading.
2.There is an increase in non linear reading meaning that people are becoming accustomed to jumping around and reading causing fragmented reading.

Writing for the web
1. Users do not read most of the text, about 4.4 seconds for every 100 words on a page.

2. Either to keep, cut, or kill off what im saying in the introduction. Short intros can increase people interest in what I am trying to say making them more focused, as if I would have a long introduction, people would skip over it



Anthony Mejia

4 comments:

  1. Anthony your site is really well put together. You have a lot of good writing and a lot of good different pages. I really like the font image you chose for your headings, it adds a good look to the pages. next time maybe try encorporating the flash buttons into your webpage, it will make your navigation bar look a little more high-tech. Your site is very visually appealing, but you might want to break up the big chunks of text into smaller paragraphs so people can read them/skim them easier. All your links work which is good! It also is very organized. Another thing about the navigation bar, maybe make the boarder invisible so you cant see the outline of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony -
    I really like your topic! I would recommend maybe splitting up some of your text. Looking at a huge paragraph kind of makes me want to skim some of it. I really like the video you put it, it gave my head a break - I would split up that paragraph on the same page so its not lines and lines of words. I think your website is very well organized..and I like the font you have for your links. The links are very descriptive so I know exactly what I'm abot to read - good! The text seems pretty informative. Make sure its as concise as possible if you aren't going to split it up among the page. Otherwise great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your purpose and idea is REALLY good but I think that your homepage could be a bit better in explaining your purpose.

    I really like your design (white background, black text) and the pictures you chose really work well (minus the clip art washing hands one, but it's ok!).

    Your site's organization is very consistent which helps viewers out a LOT.

    Keep Up The Good Work Anthony :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your site was very well done and your topic is a good one as well. If you need to, use a table to split up big chunks of text that you have. You don't neccessarily have to delete any of your text, but you can make it look less bunched up and more appealing to the eyes of the reader. Your pages are also visually appealing and links are all functioning properly. If you would like to hide the borders around your links do so, but that is just your personal preference. Good job on this site so far and nice choice of topic.

    ReplyDelete