Thursday, October 8, 2009

I resign

I resign from the media defining beauty as an unrealistic, unobtainable fixation on perfection. The media has for the last couple of decades, portrayed women as ridiculously thin, shapeless figures who tend to be Caucasian, 5’5, blue eyes, and of course blond hair. And unfortunately, any woman alive has been bombarded with these ludicrous standards, which for most do not come naturally. More recently, the media has been kind enough to allow brunettes with brown eyes, or perhaps red heads with freckles to enter the mainstream and have their chance at the limelight, however the standard of height, weight, and lack of physical imperfection remains. So what is an average woman to do when she is maybe “thicker” than the conventional size 2, with curves and perhaps cellulite that most models seem to do with out? If the media is constantly showing that she is not the typical image of “beautiful”, will not other people hold the same view? Or worse will she begin to believe it herself? It is this very act of indirectly attacking a woman’s self confidence by exhibiting unrealistic standards that media is guilty of. And I resign. A woman’s femininity is defined by her shape, recognizable by her curvaceous hips, her curved breasts, her rounded behind. Every woman has these traits, whether they are aware of them or not. Unfortunately, the media has taken measure to ensure that women are not aware of their natural beauty, but rather admire that of others or buy products to achieve it. Well I am sick and tired of women being the victim of these rampant tyrants, otherwise known as the media. Being a young lady, I live through the pressure that the media puts forth on all women, and am constantly being shown that I do not fit the standards of a beautiful woman because I stand at 5’1 ( on a good day), 120 pounds, and have an athletic build. Luckily I have been able to develop my self confidence through various activities I have been involved with such as volleyball; however I am aware that not all women are as lucky as I am. Many women fall victim to the notion that they are not “beautiful” and as a result suffer from a lack of self confidence throughout their lives that descends into every aspect: work, relationships, and family. So my question is why do we put up with this? Why do women AND men idolize those whose job we know is to look good and are still digitally enhanced? Well I say no more. The media can have their notion of beautiful because I live by my own standards, as should everyone. I hold confidence to be beautiful, along with a kind personality, a warm smile, and a flattering outfit with a nice manicure and pedicure can’t hurt. If beauty is in the eye of the beholder I am shutting off all eyesight from the media. A woman is a woman no matter her physical appearance; her characteristics of a nurturer, a lady, a gentle being, are what define her.

1 comment:

  1. i really like your topic i find that so annoying!!
    i was thinking for your topics you could have one as what the normal american really looks like, and then what the media portrays the normal person to look like as a different group. then you could have movie stars, models, and people on tv shows as groups and maybe for the other side people who fall victom to wanting to be like them, people who dont care about what the media says, and people who suffer from comparing themselves to what the media shows?
    i hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete