Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Analytical Hypertext Topic Invention, by Schubylicious.

My analytical hypertext topic is, in essence, on the over emphasis on higher education in America (and this probably extends over many other industrialized nations). My I resign letter was originally about how I “resign” from the notion that I have to go to college, simply because my family wants me to and “everybody else did it”. However, on a much more broad scale, this is about the crazy lengths that the United States has gone to make sure everyone gets a higher education. High schools pride themselves on how many kids go on to 4 year institutions after they graduate. They use it as a statistic to pat themselves on the back and make them look good. The real truth, I believe, is that some of those kids who are going to college might not want to be. Maybe they are going because they’ll make more money after college, or maybe they’re going because their parents think its best. These aren’t good reasons to go to college. Those kids are going to be the slackers, the ones who aren’t doing their work because they simply do not care about their classes, about what their professors think about them, about what their peers think about them. I’ve already encountered kids such as these, those kids who are only here for the “college experience”, or the “let’s get drunk everyday experience”, and not for the true academic experience that an institution of higher education can provide. And I feel for these kids. I really do. It’s really them against the world. They, as a group, as a standpoint, have to face off against all the guidance counselors, the professors, the parents, hell the world in general wants them to go to college, and the truth is it just might not be for them. But they are basically forced to go anyway, or they are ostracized and become burdens on society. They become the lower rung, and we as a society have a problem with that. And that’s what my hypertext is going to be all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment