Monday, October 19, 2009

Analytical Hypertext Proposal

My “I Resign” letter was focused on racism and prejudice that I heard of but did not directly experience at my high school. When I say “did not directly experience” I mean that none of the racism or prejudice was directed at me personally. It all was directed toward my religion, Judaism, and Jews alike. The basic story that I have to tell is that students around my high school, mostly upperclassmen (juniors and seniors), were making derogatory toward their friends if they didn’t let them borrow money or didn’t share something with them whether it was information or homework. The comments I specifically heard were something along the lines of “you’re such a Jew” and “you just got super Jew-ed” (implying being weaseled out of something- “gypped”- another derogatory comment). I took immediate action because I took every bit of this personally. Being at a Roman Catholic high school, I didn’t believe such behavior would ever come to my attention. I heard my own friend sometimes saying this stuff and was infumed. I started out by telling them to stop saying this stuff because of how derogatory and racist it was. I also told them that it wouldn’t be right for me to say something about their religion or other characteristic about themselves that may seem funny or easy to make fun of. I felt like I had an obligation to stop this because if I wasn’t going to, no one would have. I soon saw this stuff on Facebook as well which aggravated me to the point where I could just punch a whole through a wall. I guarantee anyone else in my situation would do similar if not exactly the same thing. I stood up for myself and my religion in this situation. However, I wanted to give people the idea that saying these derogatory comments toward other religions or ethnicities was not acceptable at all as well. It’s sad to know that people still can bear to hear these words. A general lesson to anyone who reads this is to stand up for yourself when you hear things like this, but most importantly stand up for those religious groups and ethnicities that surround you. Respect. That’s all everyone ever asks for. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment