Thursday, October 8, 2009

I RESIGN

I RESIGN


Today, I resign from being the oldest sibling in my family of three children. Plain and simple: I quit. It is just too much responsibility, too much annoyance, and way too unfair for my liking. I am sick and tired of being put in charge of the actions and behavior of my younger,immature siblings. There might as well be a sign on my face saying: “did they misbehave today? Sorry, it’s my fault”. I mean, sure, I get more freedom than they do, but with this freedom comes more responsibility than I personally am willing to handle. I absolutely despise being asked to babysit .5 seconds before they need me to, and whenever a friend needs babysitting I am AUTOMATICALLY chosen without my consent. I’m tired of being reprimanded for not doing the dishes or cleaning my room, but somehow, if Daniel and Sarah forget, all is forgiven because “they don’t know any better” and, I “should be setting the example for them”. Last time I checked there was no one setting an “example” for me when I was younger, and yet somehow I still learned how to clean up after myself. The second I got a car, my hatred of being the oldest increased 200 percent. Suddenly I was a chauffeur rather than a person. Each and every day I had to wake up an hour early to take my precious little brother to school, and oftentimes I would miss out on social events with my friends because I would just HAVE to go pick him or Sarah up after school. And, because I am the oldest of course, I am the one who has to run errands for my mom whenever she needs them, which is way too often if I do say so myself. Perhaps my biggest reason for resigning from my position as the oldest in my family is because I am absolutely fed up with the rules always changing. I had to wait until the beginning of eighth grade for my first cell phone, and precious little Daniel gets his for his fifth grade graduation?!?!. What next, Sarah gets her first car for her fourteenth birthday? Not under my watch. I had to work my butt of for everything I have gotten in my life so far, so all I can say is, if I come home one day and see a brand new car in my driveway thats NOT for me, I might blow a gasket. I’m not spoiled I swear, but I am sick and tired of getting the short end of the stick. I am at my wits end here. I can no longer put on a happy face and pretend I love being the babysitter, chauffeur, and soccer mom for my precious little siblings. Of course I love them, but the whole taking responsibility for their EVERY move is getting a little old. I’m sure eventually I will want to have children of my own but until then I would prefer not to play mother all the FREAKING time in my house. I love my family to death, but I can no longer be the oldest. My sanity can’t take it anymore. Period.

1 comment:

  1. Main tier: Lauren and her post as eldest sibling
    Affected/Stakeholders: Lauren's parents, Lauren's younger siblings, Lauren's social life, Lauren's friends, Lauren's responsibilities (?)

    Being the eldest sounds like tough stuff! You have a good argument with substantiated support and rationale. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete