Thursday, October 22, 2009

Does my website suck? Hopefully not...

One way my website doesn't suck is that it uses justifies text that fits nicely with my pictures and general formatting Another way it doesn't suck is that it uses an accessible navigation bar. Also, it uses images sparingly and generously and there is an equal balance of text and pictures. However, my site has many different colored texts and links that can be too confusing. Plus, the navigation bars are uneven which may detract from the professional look of the site. Also, the headings of the pages may be a little overwhelming because of the bright color. To see what I am talking about, check out my site:
http://webpages.scu.edu/ftp/BGiven
My research of Jerz, Liu, and Nielsen: In Jerz, I learned that the navigation bars on every should be constant and similar (pretty much exactly) on every page of the website. If there are changes, they should "reflect certain options" and therefore, flow well with how the site is being altered. In Liu, I realized that people are going to scan websites rather than read them word for word. Therefore, websites should be written in a way that allows a reader to scan and still pick up on the general information. "Picture reading" is very common so the pictures should work with the text to help convey the important ideas. In Nielsen, I learned that hypertext links and clicking buttons are the two most commonly used features on websites. Also, I learned that a user will only spen 4.4 seconds reading any additional 100 words on a website.

4 comments:

  1. Overall, It's a heartwarming topic. I like the color scheme and the pictures flow nicely. The invisible tables keep it organized but not too organized (kind of like an OCD person). The text had different colored fonts which threw me off because i wasn't sure which were links and which were text so i found myself clicking text that was not a link. The topic is obvious by looking at the website and navigation is easy, although i would probably have picked a different background image for your navigation bar. It is a little bit crowded and confusing, but kind of looks like your bedroom so it fits if you know you. However, it had a great personal touch! GOOD JOB BON BON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie

    I think your site has alot of good information it it and it's laid out nicely. I think you have alot of good images that really add to the pages. I had 4 questions for peer editing so here they are

    1) Is it relatable? I think you relate your topic nicely. I especially like the personal touch.

    2) Is it concise? I think that alot of your writing rambles a little bit. After reading those things Professor just made us read, maybe you want to think about making some of them shorter, since people only spend an average of 4.4 seconds on them.

    3) Is it aesthetically pleasing? Yes I like your background and titles. You do a really nice job of making everything match with the images.

    4) Is it easy to navigate? yes, I think you have done a really nice job of adding links at the top and bottom right of the pages. You may want to add a few more links within your page.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. The site is really easy to navigate and very aesthetically pleasing. The titles are helpful for discerning what each page is about without having to read a lot of text. One thing that is distracting is that some pages have dark text that look like links but aren't. The pictures are very powerful and add a new level of personal content to the website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your site is clear and easy to navigate. Even when you click on links you can still find where you are. I do keep ending up on your index so maybe if you moved you site home and index home so they where not right next to each other that would help. For some reason there is an extra chunk of screen at the bottom. There is a lot going on in the splash page with the dots and green title, maybe calm it down a little. The background is good and the colors work well. The text is clear and easy to read. Navigation is grate. There are a lot of colors going on but the pictures are good. The topic is clearly stated!
    Caitlin Cutting

    ReplyDelete