Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bri's Revision

My one reoccurring thought when looking at my website was: boring. With a plain, dark background and boring looking text it had “I’m done looking here” written all over it. When I started to look through the links that were on the class syllabus as well as some of the pages from my classmates I realized the main component my website was lacking is COLOR. So, I went ahead and added more images. I knew I couldn’t add too many or I would slow down the site loading time, but I had to add enough to break up the black, gray, and white flatness that I was calling my website. Another way I broke up the blandness was to add titles with a little more character. Also, I added some border thickness around links and pictures to give my site some depth.
Tim Burton’s official site (www.timburton.com) was a good source of inspiration for me, although the detail and effects on his site are way beyond my level of comprehension regarding DreamWeaver. It has animation; you literally guide (with the arrow keys) one of Tim Burton’s characters around a house in order to visit different parts of the site. Something practical I learned about the site was that you can have an eerie feel to it without it being all drab colors, which was something I wasn’t understanding. I also liked timburtoncollective.com. It was more on my level of web designing--simple. The official Alice in Wonderland movie site was great, too; it’s dark yet intriguing (disney.go.com/disneypictures/aliceinwonderland/). I looked at sites like poetry.org and used them on “what not to do” sites. I’ve been on sites before where the presentation is so plain and boring that I leave immediately. Poestories.com was a good reference site because it had the dark colors that I envisioned for my site and yet it was also interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment