Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I Resign

Have you ever had a friend tell you a secret and they made you swear never to ever tell a single soul?  How many times have you actually kept that promise?  Go on be honest . . . if you can honestly say every time and not be lying to me, or lying to yourself for that matter, I applaud you and am thoroughly impressed.   What about that time your friend confides in you and divulges information about another person’s wrongdoings… are you at liberty to pass along that information to an authority figure or does that go against the rules of friendship and jeopardize the relationship your friend has with their friend.  I know this all probably sounds really confusing but I am trying to protect the identities and respect other people’s civil liberties.  So, I guess what it comes down to is I am resigning from dishonorable behavior and screwy friendships.    

            For example:  I served on my high school’s honor board for three years.  Our duty and responsibility was to listen to student’s cases in which a major school rule was violated.  One of the more controversial cases we faced my senior year dealt with drinking on an over-seas trip where all the students were of age in that country.  All of the students who participated in the illicit activity (illicit that is in the United States and not Italy where the students were at the time of the violation) were caught and sent before Honor Board.  All of the students, that is, except for one.  This particular individual was questioned in a similar fashion as everyone else however, he chose to deny the fact he participated in the actual consumption of alcohol.  I had heard rumors he was going to lie to our dean of students and was faced with the moral dilemma of “to tell, or not to tell.”  One of my closest friends had confided in me and told me the truth of the matter even though she knew of my responsibilities of serving on Honor Board.  I tossed and turned at night questioning whether or not I should pass on this information or, if I should be a loyal friend and keep my mouth shut.  After a while I just got so frustrated I thought, “What the hell, this one DISHONORABLE individual is causing me this much stress and tension in my life simply because he is DISHONEST and not manning up and accepting the consequences of his actions.”  How is it possible that an individual can make the conscious decision to leave his/her friends high and dry, watch them being punished for something he participated in as well, and get away spot clean with out having any regrets? I know one thing, that is not the kind of friend I would want, that’s for damn sure.

            I guess I should thank this person for affirming my beliefs of what constitutes a good friend and allowing me to recognize once and for all the type of person I DO NOT want to ever be…a lying, deceitful, sleazy friend and human being who puts their own well being in front of their closest friends’ simply because they do not want to accept the consequences of their actions.  I RESIGN once and for all from fraudulent behavior and I personally vow to always be liable for my actions, for better or worse.  I will no longer go through life in a corrupt manner and I hope the rest of you out there will join me in this vow in order to make the world a better, more sincere world.

2 comments:

  1. -student who wants to lie to get out of getting in trouble causing lindsey too much stress when its really not her problem in the first place and she is put into a situation that is very difficult for her
    -the student who is choosing to lie at the Honor Board hearing is putting a lot of pressure on the other students getting in trouble as well as himself.
    -why would one want to lie about something like this when there are being others prosecuted for the same reason?
    -lindsey's friend who told her about the rumor that the one student was going to lie is a "stakeholder" on the scene. If Lindsey did not here about this whole "lying" dilemma in the first place she probably would not have tossed and turned that night as she said she did.
    -sometimes honesty can only go so far, a matter like this one should NOT go unnoticed. Alcohol is a potentially harmful drug that is not worth using under any given circumstances. If punishment is reached under the Honor Board in this case and the student that the administration would take appropriate disciplinary action if caught then it is only his fault for doing so in the first place.
    -One isn't a bad person if they decide to tell a secret. In this case, it is for the other persons well being. That is all. For this drinking case, fessing up would be the best idea ("to tell or not to tell").
    -Lindsey got reassurance for the Honor Board case. It made her a better person. Affirmed her own beliefs and made her clearly aware of what she never wanted to become like. The world would become a better place if more people were NOT lying or deceitful, etc.
    -In any case, the lesson from this letter is a strong on: Stay true to who you are. Be Yourself. Don't become someone else for the sake of getting by, either, it isn't going to work now or later.

    (very well written letter lindsey!) :)

    -josh ronen

    ReplyDelete
  2. standpoints
    -honor board
    -students
    -group of students that went to italy
    -parents of students that traveled
    -lindsey
    -lindsey's friend that confided in her

    the "bad guy" in this situation would be the person that lied in the first place. we have all been taought since kindergarten that lying is bad. and it may seem cliche to always tag the liar as the bad person, but i believe this kindergarten golden rule can really be applied in the real world. when you think about it, the liar is always the one digging themselves into a deeper hole, and causing the most trouble and pain in others. as an obvious reference, there are many people pictured in tv and movies and novels etc. that are "doomed" persay to a rough, disheartening life because of a lie. in the case of this story, its obvious that this lie was putting multiple people in rough patches, and the fact that the person was so lax about this lie was also a contributing factor to the discomfort it caused. ultimately, not to make an overgeneralized comment, but the lie is mostly if not always, the root of the problem.

    ReplyDelete