Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bri's I Resign! Letter

Dear Customers of Starbucks Store #5364,

As much as I live for making your double tall, non-fat, extra-hot, 2-pump, light-whip, zebra mochas, and as much as I miss you requesting your drink re-made several times in a row because some psychological pre-conceived notion allows you to convince yourself that I did something wrong to your drink (“This doesn’t taste like a vanilla latte”) I must unfortunately separate myself from the ever-important post as your barista. I understand that getting your drink, and having it made right, is almost as important as the safety of your children, but I will have to leave this duty to my coworkers who care so much about your happiness. I will sure miss you forgetting to say something (ie no whip) on your drink order (If you know that’s how its supposed to be I should too, right?) and then ripping me a new one as I call out a “triple grande 145° 2-pump (with whip) Cinnamon Dolce Latte” as if I was the barista at the register who wrote down the drink code on the sleeve. “Sure, I will gladly re-make your drink. Sorry about that.” Or worse, when you saunter in at seven in the morning in sweats with last nights makeup smeared, your hair disheveled and stupidly order something that we don’t offer or (if we’re lucky) just order your drink wrong and make us remake it when you discover your error. “I’m sorry, I haven’t had my coffee” you say through the crumbs of Apple Fritter flying from your mouth, as if that excuse will cause us to pity you.

And to you, Mr. Regular, with your Iced Venti, unsweetened, no water, ½ splenda, not shaken, Passion Tea and your oatmeal with ½ splenda, light water and nuts (in that order), I hope don’t fall off of your BMW motorcycle that you continually crash; I would be heartbroken. I will truly miss your chubby smile and crass comments. And to you, Ms. Regular, with your leather-skin from years of tanning and constant complaining of the “arctic temperature” while you waltz in with paper-thin yoga pants to accentuate your “hot” body whose expiration date was 1992, I will miss hearing you bad-mouth all of the other regulars five minutes before they walk in only to be greeted by none other than you. Your triple grande, ¾-pump mocha, non-fat, 200°, extra-extra-foam, cinnamon on top, stirred, double cupped-latte and extra-ice Venti water will be greatly missed by me. I just love to confirm your already firm belief that you are a princess, and you absolutely do deserve the entire world.

As for the homeless people who use our bathroom floor as a toilet, and the children who spill their 24 oz-Vanilla Bean Frappuccinos all over the floor (and whose parents encourage them to sneak out allowing us to discover it on our own) how will I ever be able to carry my life on without you? It will be hard, but I must push on and do my very best. So next time you order your drink, or yell at the barista because they didn’t read your mind, or ask for your drink to be re-made, think of me, because I most likely am thinking of you, too.

With love,

Partner # 1605461

2 comments:

  1. The two main groups:
    Bri and the cruddy customers
    Subgroups:
    other baristas, regular customers, the manager, regular customers

    im not sure what else to do...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Affected groups: baristas, bad customers, family and friends of baristas, coffee shop owners, other customers, workers in all shops

    Lots of people can be affected by this conflict. The bad customers make the baristas very annoyed with customers in general. This can cause the baristas to be less helpful or considerate to all customers they serve. Also, because the bad customers can have such a negative effect on the baristas it can effect the family and friends of the baristas. However, because the baristas see such rudeness from customers it may cause them and their friends and family to be much more courteous customers when they are buying something. Also, the rudeness of the bad customers can cause the baristas to be very unhappy with their job, which would make it harder for coffee shop owners to keep employees.

    Chase McDowell

    ReplyDelete