Thursday, April 29, 2010

500 Word Machinima Discussion

It was very interesting to watch all of the machinima movies and I definitely feel like I have a good idea of the intense amount of effort and work go into making these kinds of productions. While I can honestly say that I am intimidated and a little bit worried about my video-making ability, I believe that I will learn a lot in this process we are about to start. I watched several of the videos provided by the links and got a lot of inspiration and ideas from many of them. “The Adventures of Bill & Dawn-Attacks at Dawn” had a variety of camera angles, amusing dialogue, great sound effects, and sub-titles to reach a variety of audience members. I could definitely tell that the makers of this movie worked hard to make their movie look polished. “Desolate” was another very professional looking movie and the movie was very fitting to the theme. It also included a very powerful topic, which inspired me to make a movie that impacts my viewers. “Deviation” had creative dialogue between and I was surprised that their character’s mouths moved when they were speaking. I don’t know if I will be able to do this, but it would definitely add to my production if I learned how. “Birthday Surprise” took a common character form a gaming site and made him funny and able to connect with more modern-day audiences. I really hope that I can amuse my viewers with my movie as well. “The Legend of the Sister Blade” was one of the more impressive movies I viewed, and it had both amazing effects and narration and literally reminded me of an actual video. It really inspires me to go above and beyond with my work. “Read Dead Redemption: Hands On” was action-filled and showed me how important it is to keep your audience interested the entire time. “Secret Lives” was one of the more interesting movies to me because it had a modern theme and modern characters and the first scene was hilarious. I definitely want to make my movie more modern and attractive to my viewers. “Addiction” had good scanning techniques with the camera and the beginning really did seem like the beginning of a Hollywood movie with an interesting, complex character. I realized that it’s very important for the characters to be unique, as well as the sets and camera shots. “A Better World” was less interesting to me but was very informative and included a variety of characters, which is also an attractive idea to me. Finally, “An American Baby in Iraq” was intense and powerful, and made good use of actually people in the world. Perhaps I will try to use this technique with my own machinima.

I loved reading the screenplays of movies I had seen. “The Wizard of Oz” had several characters speak and be introduced just in the first seen and there was tons of creative dialogue. Not to mention, there was a summary of what was going on between the dialogue as well as a lot of detail and direction.  The “When Harry Met Sally”screenplay was one of my favorites because it had such unique and comical dialogue and also included information about the character’s actions and what they were doing as they were speaking. After reading some of the screenplays, I realized that much more goes into it than simply writing dialogue between two characters. Obviously, there is much planning and creativity involved as well.

            For my own machinima, I would like to create a story that is based on more modern events and have characters that are relatable to my viewers. Also, I think it would be fun to include some comedy in my machinima to keep my viewers interested, amused, and on their feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment