Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hypertext Proposal

For my hypertext, I'd like to analyze Corey Doctorow's definition and explanation of the generation gap that caused, for example, Marcus and his father to argue about security vs. privacy. While most people agree that the generation gap is getting smaller, how much smaller is it really getting? My generation is only two removed from the World War II generation, which unquestioningly did what America told it to. This patriotic generation was also very strict and undoubtedly would have argued that security was more important than privacy. And our parents, while having rebelled with the waves of the 60's and 70's, have now proven (through involvement in politics) that they aren't so far removed from their parents. There is still a lot of our grandparents in our parents, and I think things like the Patriot Act come from the remnants of our grandparents resonating in our parents. While I do think the generation gap will continue to widen, I think it's going to go much more slowly than most think, and may just stop at a certain point. For example, my generation is pretty well versed in technology, so our children will probably be more apt to get along with us when it comes to technology. However, I also think that when I have kids, I'll be a lot more strict than my parents were, which hearkens back to our grandparents days of paddling kids and sitting them in corners. This just goes to show that the generation gap is widening in some ways, but not in others. I will analyze how the gap is portrayed in Little Brother, and also the gap in real life and how fast it's moving.

The question Doctorow is trying to ask is whether the generation gap, especially when it comes to technology, affects peoples answer to the question "Are you willing to give up privacy for more security?" Are those in older generations more likely to give up privacy for security (our parents, more specifically), or is there still some fight from the 60's and 70's in them?

No comments:

Post a Comment