Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Annotated Bibliography

I'm still having problems with my FTP account here is my annotated bibliography..

Annotated Bibliography

Berger, Harold L. "New Tyrannies." Science Fiction and the New Dark Age. Bowling Green, Ohio: Bowling Green University Popular, 1976. 86-147. Print.

The chapter entitled "New Tyrannies" is related to my research topic because it is a chapter which discusses the authoritarian government of Science Fiction Literature as a type of dystopia, which is used to raise contemporary political questions.

Blade Runner. Dir. Ridley Scott. Prod. Ridley Scott and Hampton Francher. By Hampton Francher and David Webb Peoples. Perf. Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, and Sean Young. Warner Bros., 1982. I plan to use Blade Runner as the primary example of dystopian ideals in the Cyber-Punk sub-genre.

Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2003. Print. I plan on using Bradbury's novel to discuss dystopia and authoritarian governments.

Hendershot, Cynthia. "Paranoia and the Delusion of the Total System." Paranoia, the Bomb, and 1950s Science Fiction Films. Bowling Green, OH: Bowling Green State University Popular, 1999. 1-7. Print. I believe although this book focuses mainly on film, it gives good insight to the paranoia of the 1950s and how that directly relates to Science Fiction Literature. Also the chapter talks about the Total System, as an authoritarian government which is directly part of my dystopian theme.

Minority Report. Dir. Steven Spielberg. Perf. Tom Cruise. Dreamworks, 2002. DVD. I plan on using Minority Report as my basis to compare authoritarian governments that have omniscient security system, somewhat like Doctorow imagines in Little Brother.

Moore, Alan, David Lloyd, Steve Whitaker, and Siobhan Dodds. V for Vendetta. New York: DC Comics, 1989. Print. I plan on using V for Vendetta as a comparing tool. Like Little Brother, V for Vendetta poses a dystopia in the near future.

Orwell, George. 1984. San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1984. Print. I find this book necessary to use to compare Little Brother with other Science Fiction literature that discusses authoritarian governments and dystopia.

Parrinder, Patrick. Learning from Other Worlds: Estrangement, Cognition, and the Politics of Science Fiction and Utopia. Durham: Duke UP, 2001. Print. This entire book is about my research question. I am looking directly at dystopian Science Fiction in Doctorow's little brother. This book looks at dystopia literature in detail in regards to it's political commentary on the present.

Seed, David. "Cultures of Surveillance." American Science Fiction and the Cold War: Literature and Film. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 1999. 68-82. Print. This book is very relevant to my research topic because Science Fiction during the Cold War was largely political. Furthermore, I think this book is useful because it covers a large amount of time that I am focusing on, Post-WWII. I believe that the Chapter "Cultures of Surveillance" is especially useful because it directly relates to Doctorow's Little Brother and dystopian society.

THX-1138. Dir. George Lucas. Lucas Film, 1971. DVD. I want to use THX 1138 as a prime example of dystopian governments in the future that control every aspect of a citizens being.

No comments:

Post a Comment