Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Review of Hypertexts--Lindsey

Critical thinking is deciding rationally what to or what not to believe."

Norris, Stephen P. "Synthesis of Research on Critical Thinking. Educational Leadership, v 42 n 8 May 1985. 40-45.

  • From my experience at looking and engaging with various hypertexts online, I have learned that the readers themselves are the only ones who can decide whether or not the information they are reading is true or not.  By publishing something online, you are putting your work out there and in order to maintain trust of your audience must ensure your work is correct and informative.

 

Critical thinking is careful and deliberate determination of whether to accept, reject, or suspend judgment.

Moore and Parker, 1994. 

  • As mentioned previously, the reader is the ultimate judge who gets to decide whether or not they believe what has been published.   The more accurate you are able to make your information the more likely a reader is willing to believe and take in your information seriously.  The primary goal once your work is online is to provide an informative site that engages readers who develop a virtual trust with the author. 

 

Critical thinking is "the art of thinking about your thinking while you are thinking in order to make your thinking better: more clear, more accurate, or more defensible."

Paul, Binker, Adamson, and Martin (1989)

  • When one challenges their own thought, that is truly the essence of critical thinking.  During this past quarter, and especially during the construction of this past research hypertext, I have challenged myself to look at my work in a subjective matter and figure out the best way to support my case.  Previously, after I have written something for an English course, I found it difficult to reanalyze my own writing and renovate my thoughts after conducting a first draft.  However, I have developed the skill of looking over my own and others work in a more subjective manner that allows multiple drafts and alternative ways of finding solutions or other ways of going about writing (ie the new insight/twist to the hypertexts).

 

Critical thinking is "reasonably and reflectively deciding what to believe or do."
Ennis (1985)

  • This mainly is directed towards my most recent work with the research hypertext.  The reflective nature and belief of how an individual can help is a great idea that seems to be more easily said than done.  However, in order to gain backing and support on a matter it takes an individual to get the ball rolling.  My contribution to the educational effect on youth retail workers may seem small but who knows, maybe someone will come across my research and be enlightened to further the research or contribute in their own, personal, unique way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment