Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Critical thinking

critical thinking is the formation of logical inferences. - Simon and Kapplan, 1989.
When I was doing research for my third hypertext it required me to think beyond the words and arguments in the article. Using scholarly articles and determining what their argument was and then infer from there what my personal connection to that was, and how I was going to uniquely contribute to it was the most difficult part of the project.

Critical thinking is the development of cohesive and logical reasoning patterns. Stahl and Stahl, 1991.
I tend to think of everything in patterns, so much so that I try to make everything formulaic. In high school I did one type of writing and I mastered that formula. When I entered this course I was thrown off course. I was forced to develop a totally new type of writing. It took a lot of reading and researching and looking at other classmates work I began to see the patterns in their websites and the types of rhetoric that they used.
Critical thinking is deciding rationally what to or what not to believe."
Norris, Stephen P. "Synthesis of Research on Critical Thinking. Educational Leadership, v 42 n 8 May 1985. 40-45.
This quote seems very relivant to my experiences with the 3rd hypertext. I found myself arguing something that I do not exactly believe to be true. However, doing so what an exercise for my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment