Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Critical thinking selections-William Burke

Using skills that are thoughtful and effective for the particular context and type of thinking task -Halpern

As i've been doing my websites, I’ve been reminding myself to think contextually in terms of the problem i'm addressing, and the manner in which I am addressing it. In each project it’s been important to think about the people who are actually going to be reading it.

The purpose of critical thinking is, therefore, to achieve understanding, evaluate view points, and solve problems. -Maiorana

Most relevant in this excerpt is the “evaluate and solve” which sounded incredible reminiscent of our most recent project, and is very much the way I looked at it too. In terms of the scholarly literature, I think that “evaluate” is really the best way to put it, and personally I my “solve” was to show that there was a problem in the first place.

Thus, critical thinking involves: following evidence where it leads; considering all possibilities; relying on reason rather than emotion. –Kurland

I try to use this approach in everything I do, but especially in research, I think it is critical to try to separate reason and fact (or supposed fact) from opinion and emotion. In our first project, the goal was for opinion and emotion, but that still required the separation of the two.

Leads to an evaluative decision or action-NCTE

This is how I thought of the conclusion for our most recent project. I came to more of a decision than action, but the decision is reached through the creation of media and highlighting of other media.

No comments:

Post a Comment