Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Critical Thinking

-Critical thinking is the development of cohesive and logical reasoning patterns. Stahl and Stahl, 1991.
When creating a hypertext online for more than one audience, you must create your thoughts in a logical reasoning pattern in order for the people to truly understand what you are trying to convey. If the words you have on your website does not have any cohesive structure to it, then the person reading it and who is trying to understand it will have much trouble doing so. I did this when dealing with my personal website because I tried to have short passages in each of the pages so that the person reading it would easily understand what I was saying.

-"The purpose of critical thinking is, therefore, to achieve understanding, evaluate view points, and solve problems. Since all three areas involve the asking of questions, we can say that critical thinking is the questioning or inquiry we engage in when we seek to understand, evaluate, or resolve."
Maiorana, Victor P. Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum: Building the Analytical Classroom. 1992.

I used this critical thinking when composing my last hypertext. In order to show the struggles of the people in the low wage life I had to understand truly what the reason why they did this. Soon after i was able to evaluate what was the true reasons and causes so that I could create what I needed for my website.

-Critical thinking is "the art of thinking about your thinking while you are thinking in order to make your thinking better: more clear, more accurate, or more defensible."
Paul, Binker, Adamson, and Martin (1989)

I applied this critical thinking when doing my website because when I would think of writing something, I would try to spend more time thinking on it to make sure that I was understanding it correctly. Applying more time into thinking allowed me to express what I was truly wanting to say to the people reading my website.

-Critical thinking is deciding rationally what to or what not to believe."
Norris, Stephen P. "Synthesis of Research on Critical Thinking. Educational Leadership, v 42 n 8 May 1985. 40-45.

When having a lot of information to look over and putting it into a website, I had to think many times to decide whether what I was reading and then writing was believable to the audience. I had to search through the articles and be able to understand and believe what they were saying to me.

-Critical thinking is careful and deliberate determination of whether to accept, reject, or suspend judgment.
Moore and Parker, 1994.

In my hypertext I had to determine whether to accept what I was writing, and having the audience I am writing for in mind hoping that they as well will accpet what I am trying to tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment