Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Critical Thinking Exercises

"Broadly speaking, critical thinking is concerned with reason, intellectual honesty, and open-mindedness, as opposed too emotionalism, intellectual laziness, and closed-mindedness. Thus, critical thinking involves: following evidence where it leads; considering all possibilities; relying on reason rather than emotion; being precise; considering a variety of possible viewpoints and explanations; weighing the effects of motives and biases; being concerned more with finding the truth than with being right; not rejecting unpopular views out of hand; being aware of one's own prejudices and biases, and not allowing them to sway one's judgment."

Kurland, Daniel J. I Know What It Says . . . What does it Mean? 1995.

In the process of making a website, the creator must be open to understanding the fact that imagination is key to designing a website. You probably will have to change up your design many times to fit your liking. Expecting that you will learn more to incorporate into your website along the way, there will be endless possibilities in when it comes to adding little interesting things here and there. Personally for me, I focus on getting the material for all of my pages planned out first and then working on adding pictures, videos, etc...I want to make sure that I have the content of my websites worked out before really letting my imagination run wild on the rest of my website’s design. One idea that you might get in the process of making a website might spark a chain reaction which forces you to change things about your website that you once thought would be a great final product. Don’t limit yourself or else you won’t be able to see the extent of your own creativity.

_____________________________________________________________________


Critical thinking is "a process which stresses an attitude of suspended judgment, incorporates logical inquiry and problem solving, and leads to an evaluative decision or action."
NCTE Committee on Critical Thinking and the Language Arts.

In the process of gathering research for my websites, I need to gather most of my information from scholarly sources or sites that I springboard from off of Google. This research is two-pronged. For scholarly research, you need to make sure that you get the articles off a (library) databases that have thousands of articles from scholarly journals, text that has been constantly judged and criticized. Google searches are at your own discretion. For one of my websites, I used Google as my first resource for research just to get the outside point of view, limitless (opinionated, possibly biased) because scholarly research is much more focused, less opinionated, and has much less bias.

_____________________________________________________________________


Critical thinking is deciding rationally what to or what not to believe."
Norris, Stephen P. "Synthesis of Research on Critical Thinking. Educational Leadership, v 42 n 8 May 1985. 40-45

________________________________________________________

Critical thinking in the process of making my hypertexts plays as big of a part as I wanted it to be. Critical thinking can turn into being the source of the author’s creativity. Composing hypertexts can only go so far if the author is trying so hard to please future readers and not get in trouble with people that might disagree with material on the site. I knew what message I wanted to convey in the process of creating each and every one of my hypertexts and ran with it. I can’t afford to get stuck and lag. By pushing myself forward, I can clear my mind and come up with new ideas that can contribute to the already positively developing nature of my website. I can’t let myself think too much what people will think of my sites. I can only follow the rules I have learned, common sense. I focus my attention on what I know would possibly be criticized the most and use other pages (with creative insight and research) to support it. I have to feel comfortable with my work in order to be able to turn it in. An unfinished piece, in my mind, will not be beneficial to myself or my future readers. I want them to believe what I have to convey in the overall messages of each and every one of my websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment