Thursday, May 6, 2010

Breaking Out by Andrew Agcaoili

BREAKING OUT by Andrew Agcaoili

Outline

Act One

Oakland, California. A girl walks slowly and hesitantly into a clearing under a bridge near the Oakland BART station. She hears something move behind her and quickly looks over her shoulder. Her eyes are cold as ice. The camera zooms into them.

Camera zooms out and the girl’s eyes are soft and scared. The girl is now dressed up in a girl’s school uniform. The camera switches behind her and she is shown looking up at an explosion. She looks behind her and her friend Darryl is on the floor, bleeding. “VAN! HELP!” screams Marcus as he is being dragged into a van. As she runs to help, a huge guard comes up behind her and knocks her out

Later that day, the screen starts out black, but questions are being asked. She is being interrogated. A question is asked, but it’s muffled, then a strike is heard. The question asked again, but it’s muffled again. The bag is taken off Van’s head and she is immediately disoriented. She takes another slap to the face. “WHAT WERE YOU DOING NEAR THE BRIDGE?! TELL ME NOW OR YOU’LL GET ANOTHER!” Van looks up and sees a woman with a severe haircut. Van starts to cry and sobs, “I didn’t do anything! P-p-please let me go.” Sever haircut lady looks frustrated and say to the other guards, “This one’s not talking. Teach her a lesson, and then throw her back in her cage. You’ll talk eventually, mark my FUCKING word, you’ll talk. The camera turns away and 3 more strikes are heard and Van is thrown in back into her cell, lying in the feeble position crying.

Voice over by Van “I used to be weak. I cried. But I didn’t get the worst of it.”

Marcus and Van are seen meeting in the yard of their prison. Marcus has a scar ove his eyes and is holding his stomach in pain. “Van, just tell them everything, tell them the truth, just tell them what they want you to say, Please!” Marcus and Van are torn apart and another interrogation ensues. “What did he tell you?” the large guard asks. “He told me to tell you the truth, to tell you what you want to hear.” “What do you have to tell me then?” he asks. “I didn’t do ANYTHING!” As the guard’s fist moves closer to her face, the phone rings. He answers and in forms her that she’s free to go.



Act Two

In front of the Turkish Coffee Shop. Van and Marcus are sitting in silence. “I can’t take it! That’s the government that protects us! I AM Going to get back at them!” Marcus says. “You can’t! They’re the government, there always watching us! And they said they’d be keeping an eye on us.” Van squeaks. “I DON’T CARE!” he retorts. “Your putting your life and the lives of others in danger! Don’t you care!? Please, don’t!” Van starts to cry. “They have Darryl! Don’t you get it? He’s my best friend and they have him! Why don’t you care more!? He basically worshiped the ground you walked on, and you never noticed you bitch!” Van slaps Marcus in the face. He storms off furiously. Softly to herself, Van says, “I know they have Darryl…but I don’t want to lose you too…”

Later that night, Van is crying in her bed, hugging her pillow. Van voices over, “I…am weak…I’m not strong enough to help anyone. All I do is think about myself! And even now, I can’t even tell him how I feel…” Van closes her eyes to sob. A smiling image of Darryl is shown and cracks. As the image cracks, Van opens her eyes. With tears still in her eyes, they transform from weak and scared to angry and ferocious. “NO! I refuse to accept that he’s gone! If I can’t be strong for myself, then I’ll be strong to support my friends! I don’t care what happens to me!”

A few days later, Van has come back from a day of jamming. As she approaches her house, she pockets the jammer and notices a note on her doorstep. The note says, “Hey, I know you’ve been helping us out with jamming, I haven’t told him about it. You guys should make up at this party we’re hosting. –Your pal, Jolu.”


Act Three


Van pulls up to an abandoned warehouse at night. In the distance, she can hear Marcus speaking and others cheering. She quietly lets herself in. Marcus in at the end of his speech doesn’t notice her. The crowd goes wild and just as Marcus looks to the back, Van is lost in it. Needing some air, she steps outside and realizes she forgot her Jammer in the car. “When he sees this, he’ll know I have his back…he’ll know that he can count on me…he’ll know that we’re in this together.” When she returns, Jolu is sitting where Marcus made his speech. “Hey Jolu, where’d Marcus go?” she asks. Drunkenly, Jolu answers, “I thought he was with you, he disappeared with some…uh…guurrrl.” Van’s eyes go from excited to furious. She storms out, gets in her car, slams the door, and peels out.

A few days later, Van is in the city and sees a concert in the park. Curious, she walks over. The crowd chants, “DON’T TRUST ANYONE OVER 25!” over and over again. Van looks to the left and sees Marcus behind some trees. Van starts to run toward him, but then a girl comes up to him and they start to make out. Devastated, Van stops. Everything slows down. Van voices over, “And I was weak again. I lost what mattered…” As she says this, gas surrounds her and a cop comes up behind her. Her eyes in fury, she turns around and kicks the cop in the head and bolts. As she runs, she voices over, “If I can’t be strong for my friends anymore, then I’ll be strong for myself.”

In full vampire attire, Van is being chased down an alley. The two police men chasing her are actually chasing Marcus and Ange. Van takes down the two cops and turns the corner in time to see Marcus thrown into a truck. “Damnit, why can’t I help anyone…Im not strong enough”

The starting scene is shown again, this time her face is shown when walking into the clearing. Her eyes are soft and worried. She thought Marcus would be dead, but here she is, ready to meet him. Van worries about what to say when she hears a sound behind her. She looks over her shoulder, eyes hard as steel. She turns round in time to kick severe haircut lady. Caught by surprise, severe haircut lady runs away after taking a beating, just as Marcus arrives. Seeing Marcus, she begins to think about how much of a jerk he’s been. She thinks about her broken heart. With her eyes still hard as steel, she raises her hand, he flinches, and she goes in for a kiss.


Fade to Black

“oops….um…sorry”

No comments:

Post a Comment