Thursday, November 5, 2009

Proposal

For my hypertext, I am going to take a look at the people who work for the ultra rich, and yet still make a very low wage life. My first job was working as a caddie at a country club in my town. I worked there alongside other caddies that were my age, just working this for the summer, but we were trained and looked up to the caddies that had been doing this for many many years as their profession. They worked at one of the most exclusive country clubs in the nation, in the richest town in America. However, for their hard work under the sun for the short six or seven hours that they could, they were paid a salary that isn’t even considered pocket change for their employers.
Such is a rather odd environment to be working in. For the caddies, they have to try and relate to their employers, along with the standard tasks that the caddies have to go about, they make some small talk in efforts to make a few extra dollars on their tip.
What is even more odd, is that these career caddies are working alongside the sons of their ultra-rich employers. My father wasn’t a member at the club I worked at, he preferred one in the town over, but I was just the same as every other guy that worked there for the summer. We were very friendly with the caddies, but we feel as though they resented us. They had to work very hard at this job, every single day, and then go work at some other job, while we just came by during peak hours on the weekends.
Examining these people I think would be a very interesting task, seeing, not how poorly they are treated, but how little they are paid, working under people to which money has very little meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment