Monday, November 2, 2009

Living the Low-Wage Life
Work is a four letter word. Not many people get up in the morning thrilled about having to spend the next eight hours of their life at work. This is especially true for those who are working for low wages. They must work under difficult conditions for hours only to obtain insufficient pay. The government sets a minimum wage that employers must pay, so at least no one in America is forced to work for less. However, many people who work in these jobs must support themselves and their families, while others just work part-time for these wages, and have other income or support from family.
I know something about working for low wages since I worked at a clothing store for eight dollars an hour (the legal minimum wage) for over a year. There are many frustrating things about working in a low-wage job beside the fact you aren’t being paid enough. It can be mentally and physically challenging; there were many times where I exhausted myself by trying to do inventory while helping a customer while also having to clean. And many times when I was doing all that, a fellow employee would just be standing in the back. How is that fair? We were getting paid the same amount yet I did all the work. Fatigue and anxiety go hand in hand while working a job like mine.
Once a worker begins their shift, they must keep in mind the motto “the customer is always right”. Customers can be very demanding. If they don’t get a certain size or if their latte doesn’t have extra whipped cream, they might act as if it is the end of the world. It’s understandable that if they are paying for good products and service that they want to feel they are getting the right value in both. I have seen customers throw horrible tantrums for not getting precisely what they want. And as a worker we must tolerate being yelled at since we are in no position to lose our jobs. But on the other hand, customers can make a worker’s day better. I am so impressed by customers who fold shirts after trying them on or want to make small talk with me. They understand that working for minimum wage is frustrating and show true compassion.
There are many effects on the society or community at large of low wage jobs. In my case, I was a high school student working to get spending money. But some of my co-workers really relied on this job to support themselves, often working long hours and holding other similar jobs. Many people in our culture do not develop the skills to get better jobs, so are doomed to work for minimum wage. These people probably spend all their earnings on basic needs like food and rent, meaning the economy will not grow. They will also need more help if they are sick and as they grow older, using tax dollars in government programs; money which then can’t be spent on highways and schools, etc.
For me, working in a low wage job has only reinforced my desire to have a well-paying career. I had a glimpse of what my life would be and didn’t I like what I saw. It has motivated me to strive for bigger and better things.

No comments:

Post a Comment