Tuesday, November 24, 2009

1.What is the problem or conflict in the scholarly literature that my project is addressing?
Scholarly literature has addressed that there are limited job opportunities for teens. There are positives and negatives for a teen who works in a retail job but the literature doesn’t discuss the issue of teens who must have the job to support themselves.

2. What is the original contribution that my website is making to that specific problem or conflict?
Through my experience and interviews, I have concluded that when teens must work to support themselves, they must hold multiple jobs and they lack control over their ability to earn adequate money. As a result, working retail is a poor job for these teens.

3. What are the conceptual tools that I am bringing to the analysis from the assigned course reading?
I used Ehrenreich's "Nickel and Dimed" to understand that interviews and research alone don’t tell the whole story. Walking in the shoes of a low wage retail worker, as I did, has been my best tool. Also, I used Shipler’s concept of invisibility since retail workers do much more than just sell clothes; the job entails cleaning and organizing the store.

4. Which two or three prior student websites provided me with the most guidance?
The Low-Wage Stripper site aided me with both design and content. I used the site’s annotated bibliography as a model. The Life of a Migrant Farm Worker also impressed me with the thoroughness of the research and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment