Monday, November 2, 2009

Living the Low Wage Life by Julia Mink

“Living the low wage life” has never been an issue in my life. Even though I am only eighteen, I have had the opportunity to live a plentiful life. Everything has been handed to me with ease. Not only that, but my family and I get to live a little bit of the wealthy life. But, underneath it all is a major social issue: being poor.
At my house, we have maids who come once every two weeks and gardeners who come once every week. I always wonder what their lives are like. Often times, the maids children come to our house just because they cannot afford daycare. Other times, the gardeners ask if we want a more colorful garden, just so we will pay them more. I often feel bad for them, because they have to work for the people who have easier lives. It’s although money is being dangled in front of them.
Or what about when we go to the mall twice a week? Most of the people working in the stores are just high school or college kids looking for some money. But the people in the food court, cleaning up after us, are mostly living the low wage life.
It’s sad because, even though every human being is born into the same world, which holds the same potential opportunities for everyone, not every human is handed the tools to earn success (in terms of money). For example, I was born with a solid college education fund from my grandparents, grew up in the nicest area of the South Bay, and sent to some of the best public schools in the county. On the other hand, some people are born without even having their own baby clothes or nurseries, being evicted, and sent to rough schools with low graduation rates and test scores. So for many, the low wage life was the only option.
If only the wage range was much smaller. Professional athletes have a wage of something in the thousands per hour, while the people who work at their stadiums and arenas make around five dollars per hour. Both parties are trying to live the same life, but one is much easier than the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment