Monday, November 2, 2009

Project Proposal

Project Proposal

For my next project on poverty, I propose the idea of “inequality” in the manufacturing of sports equipment. I know that this has been in the media a lot with companies like Nike, but I would focus on all companies, especially major ones who supply professional athletes with equipment and endorsements. I would like to focus on the connection between the jobs of low wage workers in comparison to the athletes that they make a product for. I believe that there could be a telling story and an obvious gap between the two. I would like to investigate not only where the products are manufactured but how much of a profit they make by outsourcing their labor, and how that affects not only professional athletes, but collegiate and prep school athletes as well. I feel that I have some knowledge of the use of equipment not only at the high school level, but since 3 of my best friends play big time collegiate football, and myself being part of the recruiting process I can relate to the use of equipment as a mere commodity that is given out almost at the stretch of the hand. Although I will investigate into every sport, I would like to focus on the NFL and NCAA football. My goal is to find out where and how these leagues and teams get so many endorsements and the profit that the companies make off of them. I would like to pay close attention to the “accessories” such as wrist bands, gloves, cleats, and clothing that are given out to not only players and coaches and see how much of that is not only made by low wage workers, but how much of a percent increase the company makes on such a product.

No comments:

Post a Comment